Mark and Lisa in Alaska - Day 8

After a good night's sleep, we got up, dumped the RV, and headed for Whittier. The drive was nice back through the Kenai Peninsula, but it was overcast with occasional rain. To get to Whittier, you have to go through a one-way tunnel. The cost was $12 for us. We lined up in row 3 and waited for our turn to go. They have stop lights to direct traffic.

Tunnel to Whittier, AK
DSCN2117 DSCN2119 DSCN2120

Driving through the tunnel was pretty cool. The train also runs through the tunnel. Once you are through the tunnel you are in Whittier.  Not much going on here. Even the locals will tell you there's not much going on here, other than depression.  There are plenty of day cruises and kayak tours, but not much else. For lunch, we ate cheeseburgers at Nana's Place, not too bad. The cheeseburgers cost $9.95 a piece. 

Whittier, AK
DSCN2126 DSCN2127 DSCN2130

 After lunch, we waited for the ferry to arrive. It showed up late and tried to dock three times. The wind was pretty strong, and kept blowing the ferry off course. We took off an hour late.  Our ferry today is the Chenega.  It must be a fairly new ferry, because the inside was very nice and clean. Unfortunately, the clouds were low and plentiful. I'm sure the landscape was beautiful, but we didn't get to see much of it.  Lisa slept for about an hour and half of the trip. 

Views from the Ferry
DSCN2131 DSCN2133 DSCN2135 DSCN2136 DSCN2141
DSCN2146 DSCN2147 DSCN2148 DSCN2149 DSCN2150

Our RV site - Bear Paw - wasn't far from the ferry.  Luckily, I was the first RV off the ferry, so I pulled in before everyone else did. Our site had cable TV access, which was a nice change. Not much to do at night.  We walked a few blocks up to the local Safeway store to restock on pop, food, and snacks. For dinner, we ate at Fu Kung.  Lisa ordered Crispy Chicken, and I had Mongolian Beef.  Lisa was very excited to get Hot and Sour Soup. The food was very good and we had enough left over for dinner the next night.  Another good day in Alaska!